May present a choking hazard

May present a choking hazard

Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Martian march towards death row...

This was initially going to be me posting a sketch Mike Netzer did for me, but I feel a rant coming on, so I didn't want to clog the two together. Therefore, without further adieu... I believe we've got a double posting.

With the potential execution of the Manhunter from Mars for a quick buck, Michael Netzer has launched a massive plea on his website, asking people to sign up and speak their minds against a character who's been around long enough for any comics fan to know him, but isn't so plastered on every piece of merchandise to cause an epidemic if they kill him.
I know there's been rumblings that such a plea and petition can lead to the exact opposite effect J'Onn J'Onzz enthusiasts are going for, and sure... they could be right.
If DC is so eager to do this, reaction of this magnitude spells $$$. For a limited time only, of course.

I've also heard around the horn that the worst part of this or any telegraphed execution is the prior knowledge of it. And that's very true. Instead of just picking up a comic book, getting to a point in it and seeing your hero/favorite character/guy you know getting his ticket punched, which should be an emotional experience on many levels (of course you could always just tell yourself that somewhere in an undetermined future... he'll/she'll be back), you see what you've expected for quite some time. "Look at that. They sure did kill em."

So there you go. Now everyone knows, so there's no point. Pull a humdinger of a move and have him save the world!

I've mentioned it before, and I'll say it here... I'm not against characters getting theirs and moving on to that happy fun afterlife. If they want, I'll provide a detailed list of characters that have far exceeded their usefulness, and were begging to expire long ago.

I've a problem with the potential expiration of JJ because of why I think it'll be done. Which I've already stated, is because they don't have the comics balls to take out a seriously heavy hitter. And why would they, right?
It's slated for moderate shock value of a familiar enough face. He's got some screen and toy time with the JLU, he's been out there meeting and greeting so he's a prime candidate.
But not too much.

And if this can happen to J'Onzz, what the hell will happen to my Ray!!! He's already been gone for years. Gonna crank him up a few notches then take him out too?
I had a suspicion that Choi was a test, thrown out there to see who bit and how many, soze they can throw Ray Ray in as a bonus kill.

"See the Manhunter from Mars die horrifically! w/bonus Atom death included"

Ah well. Those that are about to die, I salute you.

For some real Martian Manhunter madcappery and fun times, I'd suggest you visit Frank Lee Delano's Idol-Head of Diabolu site, a daily dedication to that bald, green dude.

1 comment:

Diabolu Frank said...

Ahh... das pimpage. I had an anniversary this weekend, but reciprocity is forthcoming...